Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 13: From a Distance




Letters from the ocean. When Pete is on the sub they have port stops and usually a rider will get on for a few days, do an inspection, and then leave. When that rider leaves they will often bring any mail from the sailors and deliver it when they get home. I don't remember Pete ever writing before. This time he's been really great about it. Sure, we can email all we want, but there is something special about opening the mailbox and seeing an actual letter.

5 comments:

  1. That is so sweet. Hopefully it makes the time go by a little more quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I love letters. I have all of the ones from basic training, and I treasure them. If he deploys again, I will surely write some letters.

    Also, this post made me tear up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your interpretation of "from a distance" is both the most creative and the most personal I can think of. I'm glad he's writing so much. A paper letter has such a different feeling than an email.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sweet! I agree -- there IS something special about receiving a letter in the mail. And this way you have something that you can keep and look back on years from now.

    ReplyDelete